Your bobbin is the little round device that holds your spool of thread inside your sewing machine that feeds the thread for the backside of the stitch. No sewing machine can sew without one. Depending on whether your machine has front loading bobbins or top loading bobbins the process of changing your bobbins may vary but is a relatively simple process regardless of your machine.Bobbins are a cheap yet necessary staple for every sewing machine. Click here for our full list of our bobbins available for purchase.
Winding Your Bobbins (with Video)
When beginning any sewing project, you will generally purchase a reel of thread in a colour that goes with your fabric. To get that same thread onto the bobbin, you'll need to wind it. Here is how to manually wind it:
- Place spool of thread on spool pin.
- Slide spool pin holder/cap firmly over rim of spool to prevent thread from tangling.
- Push bobbin winder pin to far left if it is not already there.
- Pass the thread from spool through thread guide .
- Pass thread end, from inside, through small hole in rim of bobbin
- Place bobbin onto pin:
- Push bobbin winder pin to the right This will stop the needle from moving.
- Holding thread end, step on speed controller to run machine until desired amount of thread is wound. (Winding stops automatically once bobbin is full.)
- Cut thread; push bobbin to the left and remove it from bobbin winder pin
- Trim thread end from top of bobbin
Here's a short video on how to wind your bobbin:
Alternatively, you can wind your bobbins use an electric bobbin winder:
This machine electrically winds almost any bobbin for you and automatically stops when the bobbin is full. To purchase this, click here
Inserting Bobbins - Front Loading Bobbins (with Video)
- Use your finger to open the bobbin door below the presser foot.
Align the hole in the bobbin spindle over the peg in the bobbin case
Slide the bobbin into the bobbin case, leaving a bit of thread outside the case.
- Take the loose thread end and slide it through the slit on the side of the bobbin case.
Slide the thread from the slit straight up along the groove and into the open hole on the bobbin case's side.
Keeping the bobbin in place, turn the bobbin case so that the back is facing you.
Use your fingernail to lift the lever on the back of the bobbin case. Hold the lever open.
Holding the bobbin case lever open, insert the bobbin case into the cavity under the presser foot.
Align the metal arm on the bobbin case so that it sits in the slot in the machine.
Release the bobbin case.
Heres a short video tutorial on how to install front loading bobbins:
Inserting Bobbins - Top Loading Bobbins (with video)
- Raise the needle to its highest position by rotating the hand wheel toward you
- Remove the bobbin cover plate by pushing the release button to the right. Bobbin cover will pop up sufficiently to allow you to remove the cover.
- Insert the bobbin making sure the bobbin rotates counter- clockwise when you pull the thread.
- Pull thread through the slot and then to the left
- With a finger held gently on top of the bobbin, pull the thread until it stops in slot. Then pull about 6" (15 cm) of thread and lead it towards back of the machine under the presser foot.
- Replace the bobbin cover plate onto the needle plate.
Heres a short video tutorial on how to insert top loading bobbins: